Thursday, April 02, 2009

Sheesh

Just when you think you've got things under control...

Yesterday, after the crazy busiest day at school that included a double-booked lab and three meetings, after cake class and the gym, just before tap practice....
My dad tells me my Grandpa Metcalf had another heart attack. No huge surprise... he has more hardware than most kitchen aides, but I didn't expect what happened when I walked back into that second floor at the hospital to visit him. The entire episode with Q's dad came flooding in the gates bringing with it a down poor of uncontrollable tears. SHEESH! We were supposed to cheer him up but it was quite the opposite. I just kept thinking how good he looked and positive he was and how it was just like Q's dad when I thought absolutely nothing could happen...but then it did and he died. So I cried and told my grandpa several "just in case you die tonight" things and he had some of those "if this is it" things for me and I just cried.

One time a few months ago Q's dad was in the barber shop with my grandpa when suddenly my grandpa had a heart attack (ish). I remember Q's dad coming home and talking about how he was scared that was it for grandpa. He described his feelings about it. How ironic that two months later Q's dad is the one who is gone and grandpa is still here.

Advice from grandpa for "what if":
  • Life is about challenges. There is no get where you are going because there are only new challenges.
  • Exercise.
  • Stories about those hard years at the mortuary.
  • The great joy of the close relationship between him and my dad.
  • He's ready.
  • Wrong choices by parents effect generations... so live righteously!
  • There is a plan
  • ...and more for when it happens so I'll save it for then.
I told him to find Q's dad and tell him we're a little sore about the fact that he left without telling us he was going to go!

3 comments:

Alana said...

ahhh, Nicole, no!! give my best to your family. I hope he gets better quickly and everything works out. I love you!

Amy said...

I just love you to pieces, and I dearly love your family too. We are all praying for a quick recovery for grandpa metcalf.

loves!!

Erika said...

Hope he gets better quick!! Sorry for the memories that came with it!