Friday, April 24, 2009

Birthday Success

The big day:

Treated myself to a much needed bi-annual hair cut-
My students were great. Every class broke out into a spontaneous burst of
"happy birthday to you" when I walked in the door.
Home base even hid under the desks and turned out the lights,
then jumped out and yelled SURPRISE
when I walked in.
You know it's good when 9th graders bring you presents
and sing for you of their own accord!



I stayed up tell LATE LATE the night before and made my very own mouthwatering carrot cake. I hunted for the perfect recipe with yogurt and found a none-to-easy Alton Brown go from some obscure foreign site. Everything was listed in ounces but it looked like the makings of a real winner so I slaved away for a few hours and the result was SO WORTH IT!

It was absolute bliss. Best cake I ever had!
This labor intensive delicatessen of love is worth the effort. Thanks Alton Brown, I will be making this again... when I'm up for a good work out that is.
I CAN'T BELIEVE Quinn threw me a SURPRISE PARTY!!!


I spent the whole time thinking about how wonderful my friends are. I need to tell them how cool I think they are but I'm not sure it is possible. Q called a few of my girl friends and put on a chick party he later said, "was way fun!" What a guy!!! Not only did he throw me a girl party, he served the cake and thoroughly enjoyed himself in the midst of wonderful girl company too.





Well, it happened. I turned 29. Ouch.
Don't have:
that house I want
flat stomach
tickets to Thailand
Do have:
hot Q
secure job
Kata D-467
I'd say it's better than six's all around, wouldn't you???

Don't forget: Dinner at Vietnamese (yes again) and a free B-Day Spoon Me!
CHECK IT:

I just made my first fondant cake! Don't look close- I'm pretty much horrible at it...plus I haven't finished decorating the thing yet. Polk-a-dots to come. Definitely I am not very good at this either. Three strikes in a row: Photography, sprouting grains, and cake decor all down the drain. Maybe I'll just come home and watch TV like a normal person next week.

3 comments:

Amy said...

I must say that carrot cake was a dream come true. :)

Alana said...

Your cake was amazing. You might be Martha Stewart. I'm craving some right now. YUMMMM. That picture of me almost made me cry. When did I get so puffy? Yeah, you need to take a week and watch TV like the rest of us folk!

Mindi said...

I was wondering when your birthday was coming up, I know it's in April- that's good right? Anyway happy birthday, glad you had a great day, love the bag, and I can't believe you can get away with only cutting your hair twice a year. Oh and I'm putting my request in now for you to make my birthday cake this year, I'm turning the big 30 and I think I deserve a cake from a professional. :)