DRILL/CHEER TRYOUTS: I've been sitting on the edge of my seat watching my beloved 9th grade girls vie for a spot on drill and cheer. Oh gracious, why couldn't they all have made it? I almost couldn't handle the tension... and of course, I have to give them huge hugs and "job will done"s when all was said and done. Drill was open try outs so I trecked up to the gym to be amazed by how old these girls suddenly became! I've had most of them since 2007 and I just don't think I'll be able to let them go! I even caught myself thinking that maybe I could transfer with them or be the drill coach at night. Teachers had to fill out an evaluation for each girl- we were supposed to give them a number, 1-5, to rate their attitude and dedication. I just couldn't bring myself to sending them away with a simple number so I wrote recommendation letters for each of them instead. I gushed and oozed, I praised and pleaded... and yet, not all of them made the team. Those who didn't were robbed, robbed I tell you!!!!! Plus- that dance was seriously tough! What were those choreographers thinking??? GOOD JOB GIRLS! You really can stay at SCMS if you want!!!
Then there was the last cake class: Yep- you guessed it, mine's the ug-ug-ugly brown and white atrocity. That day was so hectic. I got to class late and everyone else was well on their way to finished cakes by the time I had my frosting bagged and ready (usual). You would never guess it's really not a cake right? I couldn't bring myself to baking an actual cake because I knew I'd eat the whole thing... so I frosted my frosting bowl! It's been fun playing tricks on my students all week!
...but alas: this bottom pic is not a cake!
TAP-TAP-A-ROO: I am wondering recklessly through the halls trying to make sense of the chaos that is my to-do list when I suddenly hear the faint but unmistakable sounds of tap shoes wafting through the school. "Whoever could that be," I think to myself as I note that there is not a soul on our faculty or in our student body that can tap like that. Then, out of left field, I actually start to recognize the steps! It's the Irish!!! ... and a bunch of feet are doing the lift step drag!!! I turn the corner to find, to my amazement, some old tap students teaching Miss Brooks' 3rd period the Riverdance for her Irish geography unit!!! What great fun to see a line full of... let us say exuberant, energetic, and sometimes hard-to-manage boys perfectly concentrating on a shuffle-hop-step! Oh the bliss! They are thinking I should join them in the school talent show and bust out a little Bill Whelan again.
Oh Crap! That reminds me that I just finished my JAM PACKED schedule for To Kill a Mockingbird (which I'm already cramming into not-enough-time-in-the-year-left and I've forgotten to account for assembly day!-Shisters!!!!)
No comments:
Post a Comment