Today I feel like a good teacher. Actually, I was very surprised to hear that my class was one of the few to even mention 9/11. I don't know if it's my genetic patriotic streak or my love affair with New York, but for some reason I feel that classrooms should stop a bit on this day to respect and honor those who fell and those who serve. Our troops and what they fight for (FREEDOM) is SOOOOO important!!!! I invited the 222nd (who are finally home and who we honored last year while they were in Iraq) and their wives to speak to us again and it was awesome. A few soldiers brought their gear and the wives gave such touching details of their experience. I learned SO much about Iraq and the war. The media says nothing!!!! I't was so cool that my students and I got to hear from the same guys we sent packages to with our massive service project last year. And to top it off- one specialist dressed me up in all his gear (which is 80 lbs in 130+ degree weather) and gave me a friendship bracelet he made to thank me for the project last year!!! He said that soldiers give these bracelets to someone who saves their life or as a sincere token of deep friendship. I am so honored. Another army wife left me with MRE's for my food storage! Needless to say, there were some tears.
Read about my MASSIVE service project in this FRONT PAGE NEWSPAPER article.
4 comments:
I wish I had even 1/10th of your ambition, initiative, and follow-through. Seriously, who are you? You amaze me.
You are an AWESOME teacher Nicole! I LOVE all the "hands on" stuff you do! Those were always my favorite kind of teachers! :)
WOW! That is amazing-you are a dynamite teacher Nicole. So, I was pretty proud that I stayed up late last night to memorize the Constitution Preamble so I could recite it to my class today...until I saw your blog! That is awesome!
Nicole, YOU'RE AWESOME!!
Post a Comment