Monday, March 09, 2009

PHOENIX, Cake Class, and PJ

Let me introduce you to ERIKA, my best friend from childhood- you know, those awkward years when wave bangs and layered socks were in. I was so excited to see her fabulous life in Phoenix last week! She is fabulous, has fabulous kids, and is a fabulous photographer. Seriously, her photos are incredible!!!! I had so much fun just catching up with her and really just taking a trip to the park with her. She knows all of my embarrassing moments and has many 80's pictures with which to blackmail me! There was really only one problem spending time with her- it makes me remember how much fun she is and wish I could see her more often! Thanks for picking me up at the baseball game and taking me back to the slum section of Phoenix E! I can't wait to see you again!!! Good luck with "it" all. If anyone can make lemonade.... you can :) P.S. You look amazing. Can I be just like you when I grow up?

ABOUT PHOENIX: I went to a PLC conference for teachers and came away from it with a Newberry winning idea for my first book. I'll let you know how it goes. The conference was 4 days and we drove! I was nervous because the teachers who went weren't my normal "peops" but we ended up having a great time together. We talked non-stop the whole trip. When I got home I think it was the first time in my marriage when Q wanted to talk more than me. By the time I got home my brain was fried.




This is my principal successfully pulling into the tightest spot in the history of the world. We were very impressed and I even thought playing "Hail to the Cheif" might be appropriate.








We stopped at the Horse Shoe Bend overlook on the way home at which point I had three very profound thoughts:

1) How can I have lived every summer of my life at Lake Powell and never come here!!! It's gorgeous.


2) How in the world can I possibly be THIS close to the lake without going down to the water!!! Oh the agony!!!




3) YES- FEAR OF HEIGHTS CONFIRMED. Turning around and heading back to the car NOW.

I'm FINALLY taking the cake decorating class! Schiers is the FACS teacher at our school but she also used to teach the cake classes at Roberts so she's holding a free course for friends in the foods room each week! We are 2 classes into course 1 and she says that fondant isn't until course 4 so I'm crossing my fingers that she sticks it out. We have a fun group of girls. It's on Wednesdays so if you wan to come, give me a holler and we can fit you in. I bought my cake kit with my 50% off coupon so I'm invested now. It's already looking better than my photography class experience. This week: Frosting roses! Can you say, "gitty with excitement?"

...And for your viewing pleasure: Porter is 2! Wow- so confirms the fact that Q and I made it to 30 without kids. Feeling a little behind the crowd but not enough to dispel my intense anxiety at actually making the jump into mom-dom.

...But this is about Porter. Basically he is very very cute! This is his "cheeser" face in action. Happy B-Day little nephew.

5 comments:

Alana said...

Porter is C U T E !!!
that view is amazing!
cake decorating class? you are driven. brandon and i were laughing so hard the other night--- we literally were crying and rolling laughing about how un-ambitious i am. what is wrong with me? just plain ol' country fat and lazy, i suppose. i miss you! my mom is moving in with me this weekend! hey, i just remembered i never returned your phone call. a backpacking excursion isn't totally out of the question. i'm going to give this some thinking. when is your spring break?

Taylor said...

Hey Hey I would love to do the cake decorating class, could you really fit me in? It would be great to see you guys and to have a girl night. What time is it? Did you get your kit at Roberts? Oh that would be so very fun. let me know, thanks!

Erika said...

Thanks for the post..it was so fun to see you...and love that picture of us at the park...although your bike helmet is a little small! BTW, a girl from the park was asking about you the other day...wants your blog address so she can see what you're up to...said you told her you were buds!!! Ha! Too cute~ glad you had fun here.

Erika said...

Oh and way to go on the cake decorating! You are way ambitious, I would like to be like you...all your happy, cheeriness and fun way with words. And you are sooo great with kids, you shouldn't have anxiety!

Nic said...

Never mind my insatiable GUT in the top pic. Gee wiz Nic- Suck in woman!