All summer long... no, let's go back further- all year long Quinn and I have wanted to take off for the weekend and spend some time together. We both live so close to family and friends that it seems it is never just the two of us. We finally picked this last weekend for the big trip... but there was a hitch. Quinn got two speeding tickets and we ran out of money. No problemo, we decided, we can still accomplish weekend-de-la-rekindle-the-relationship by heading up to the cabin for free. I had really been looking forward to alone time with Q because A) it's hard to
come by: everyone and their dog loves him, and
2) we needed it because things have been rocky lately and we haven't been connecting. You can understand my surprise, then, when I mention that the day we were leaving, Q called and said he had invited his friends up for the night on Saturday. Heck ya I was mad! It was our weekend alone, one we had been planning for months, we needed it, and suddenly he's got the masses coming. Setting the record straight: I love Quinn's friends, they're great, and we do need to get them up to the cabin so they can become my friends too, but this was one
weekend Q had agreed to supress his inner social butterfly. What could I do? I decided to put my foot down and retain my romantic weekend with
Quinnihana. I made him call his friends back and cancel, I told him to blame it on me, which is fine. I need space anyway and I think his friends already think I'm weird (which is true... I have issues). So, story out and about- sorry to everyone who thinks I put a kebash on their plans for nothing. The last time I got away with just Quinn and only Quinn was so long ago I can't even remember it. We really needed it.
Now, for those who will feel better to know that it was
a pretty miserable experience, here goes:
We fought pretty much
the whole time because I feel the inner need to converse and Q sees no reason for conversation for the sake of conversation. Also, I had another one of my bi-monthly meltdowns over finances. On top of that, we hiked Pine Valley Mountain and it was wretched. We've done it twice before but this time it KILLED us! 17 miles up B
rowns, across Summit, and down Forsythe. I don't know if it was the humidity or what b
ut my heavy panting and lung-gasping for air never did quite level out. It was torture and somehow I, a 28 year old tap teacher, managed to throw out a hip
Quinn literally collapsed more than once on the trail and I started swearing at the 15 mile mark. At one point I was so delusional that I swore I was being stocked by a mountain lion and yelled for Quinn to "WAIT UP" for half an hour.
The good news is that it's been raining up there so the trail was unrecognizably green and we actually belined straight to the Forsythe
trailhead down in the flats (which has never happened)!
The avalanche is still very visible and we met some interesting cowboys up in the meadows. Because it had been so stressful and excrutiatingly painful, we treated ourselves to Brandin' Iron when we made it down... Not quite the splurge, we stuck to beans, salad, and bread in lou of the budget.
So, I apologize for canceling Quinn's impromtu party that he never told me about until the day we were leaving on our romantic get-away. If you don't hate us, please come to the cabin next month. We are planning a big bash and you're all invited... even if you hate me.
5 comments:
Well I don't feel so bad now. I can't wait until next month. He didn't call to cancel, he sent a text ten minutes after he had gotten my hopes up for a nice, fun filled evening at the cabin saying, "the thing on saturday at the cabin is cancelled." My dreams were shattered just like that! But I will forgive.
I am laughing so hard right now, I can hardly breathe....not because of what happened to you guys (that's not funny) it's just how you write it all and I can picture your voice in my head as I read. And you calf...I have a picture of right before it happened, how sad. You turn lemons into lemonaid..with your writing. Very nice, I'm glad you and Quinn survived the romantic get away.
Do you know what I LOVE? I just love that you are real on your blog. Some days I cannot understant how everyone's lives are so perfect and magical. I often wonder if I am the only one that ever has problems! I am still jealous of your intellect, talent, great looks, and frequency of Powell trips, but I just love that you are so direct and real. I am glad to know that somebody else has less-then-perfect moments too! A 15 mile hike though?-that's pretty amazing!
sounds like hell... sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. we had the same experience because that one time we went with you guys it was perfect, but the same summer we took Ian up a different route and it was utter hell. I could sure use some Vasey's Paradise or Thunder River right about now. Yeah, why do guys have no need to talk? Weenies!!!
Too funny!! What a hideously long hike! Aaack! Good for you for sticking to it, sorry about the romantic get-away gone awry!!
Post a Comment