On September 10th and 11th, for the last three years, I have invited servicemen from nearly every field (military, infantry, airforce, nave seal, coast guard, etc.) to share their experiences with my students and me. I must say, I have been absolutely blown away by their stories and photos and information. I can't believe how broken our media is. I can't believe civilions don't get to hear the voices of our troops and learn the truth about the war and the Middle East. I thought I had heard enough to give me a good understanding of the conflict and Middle Eastern culture (specifically Iran -I'm intensly interested in the Iranian Revolution of 1980)- but this year as stories were told and photos were shared, once again my eyes were opened and I am blown away by the amazingness of our soldiers, the battles they fight (AND WIN), and their love for the Middle Eastern people who need us and want us there.
This year I invited the first ever sniper to come and speak to the kids. Sans the graphic bloody dead terrorist pictures, his experiences were captivating and eye opening. Out of all the men and women that have been in my classroom, I believe he has seen more action. He has also spent more time in Iraq than anyone else we've met. Oh the spiders (two feet flesh eating spiders). He showed us one picture and dared us to find his spotter who was hiding in his "mop" out in the Iraqi desert.
I have learned so much and these will be some of my most reasured memories. I am so lucky to have heard these stories. Sometime (but only sometimes) middle school is worth it.
2 comments:
sounds amazing! can i come sit-in next year when you have these visitors?
Absolutely amazing! I wish I could come visit next year too!
Post a Comment