Monday, November 17, 2008

Another reason to love Twilight and Celine Dion

My world centers on 3 local events:
1. The St. George Parade of Homes
2. The St. George Arts Festival
3. The Jubilee of Trees Gala Benefit Dinner

To get a better understanding of my love for these 3 joyous occasions, know this: When my mom presented me with my very own Celine Dion tickets for my birthday in April, my first emotion was actual anguish and gnashing of teeth because it was on the same night at my blessed Jubilee Banquet. Instantly I was confronted with a moral dilemma, an ethical debate if you will. Go to Celine, who I missed in Vegas and still haven't quite gotten over it, or relinquish my tickets for a night with tacky Utah evening dresses, craft-crazy trees, and a steak dinner all while rodeo suppliers donate tens of thousand of dollars to help pre-me's. Oh the harshness of the situation. In the end I went with Celine because the Jubilee is every year and I was, after all, familiar with the sacrifice of missing this annual event as I couldn't fly home from Manhattan in '05. Imagine my conflict of emotions then, when you hear that Celine is sick and won't be coming to SLC at all. Do I feel joy? Let down?

Upon receiving this information I jumped off the couch and ran to find dad, excitedly exclaiming to him that, no worries, I could make Jubilee after all. I expected to see utter relief on his part, but was dismayed to discover he had given my seats away to a couple who actually, "planned on buying something," at the silent auction (the jubilee is a fund-raising event). The disappointment. Q practically started crying. Long story short, never give up, never surrender. We have managed to finagle Dad's friend into giving us his seats. Apparently his wife bought tickets to Twilight without realizing that the Jubilee coincided with the premiere. I knew I liked that Stephanie Myer. So all is not lost. We will, without fail, be at the Jubilee banquet dinner this season... and, if you look hard enough, we may actually bid on something completely cheesy and hot glued to boot.

(Jubilee '06-our first appearance after missing '05 for Manhattan)

...and for the rest of my SGU top ten events list:
4. Dickens Festival
5. Scrapbook U.S.A
6. Cinco De Mayo (don't ask)
7. Peach Days
8. SG Marathon at the mortuary
9. Art in the Park
10. Halloween on Sugar Leo

7 comments:

Katie L said...

Nic!! I totally had the same experience with Celine!! I purchased tickes for her in Vegas last March, for a concert in October. I had great priced tickets and the best seats in the house!! One night before we were set to go, she cancelled the concert!! It was my life dream to go see her and she broke my heart!! All those months of excitement, I even purchased a new dress to wear!!! Im glad you got to go to the Jubilee to make up for it though!! Good luck on the bidding!

Amy said...

I am so sad that you wont get to see Celine. She is amazing! But i am happy for you that you will be jubilee-ing :)

I am totally in for wednesday!! I am game for whatever, dinner, movie, desert, and then desert again. Seriously whatever. Just need to get out before.... well you don't want to know.

Ashlynn {mamabear} said...

The Dickens is my favorite. What Women Want was great this year too. I did a little tree for the Enchanted Forest again this year for the Jubilee - bid on it & have fun. :)

Mindi said...

Well I'm glad someone could make lemonade out of that lemon...I'm also totally bummed we won't be seeing each other, sounds like you'll still be having fun though.

ash met said...

I'm WAY sad I won't get to see you this weekend!! I was really looking forward to it. The Gala sounds smashing, have fun!

Jem said...

This has nothing to do with your update. Just thought I'd let you know that I looked up Quantum of Solace and this is what it said: "Quantum of Solace" - or as Bond explains it - “the amount of comfort… When the other person not only makes you feel insecure but actually seems to want to destroy you, it’s obviously the end. The Quantum of Solace stands at zero.”

Also, this movie IS a continuation of Casino Royale. It apparantly starts only twenty minutes after the ending of the first movie.

Nic said...

I'll have to see that first one now. Thanks for the info.