We basically live at Lake Powell in the summer so I thought I'd fill you all in on our summer happenings with some pictures. Isn't the first one of Porter and the Peach SOOO cute! We bought my Dad a paddleboat for Christmas the year before last, which had always been my favorite thing to do at the lake until the advent of the kayaks. Seriously, I can't get enough. When I'm kayaking along Powell I pretend that I'm batteling the swells along the Kaua'i Napali coastline. Quinn keeps telling me we are going to do it next time we hit Hawaii but I'm way scared because I'm such a woose (sp?) when it comes to upper body strength. The Napali coast can only be reached by a severe death-defying multiple-day hike through jungle and cliff, or by kayak. They are the most beautiful, secluded beaches anywhere.
We were able to see the whole shore line from a navy seal boat over Spring Break and I saw it from the "Little Grand Canyon" of Hawaii the year before, but Q says next time is it and to start preparing myself mentally. I think he's got some idea about the nude beaches supposed to exist on the Napali that is driving his motivation for the treck. Still, I told him, the only way I'm doing it is if we take a two man so he can help me survive. It's doutless that it will happen, however. One can only kayak the Napali coast when the surf is low during the summer and by then the whales are gone. I don't ever anticipate visiting Hawaii again whithout the whales. Once you've seen a humpback breach, it changes you somehow. So for now, I'm content with sunset rides at Powell.


3 comments:
Porter is so dang cute I want to SQUEEZE him!
I absolutely love that picture of Porter. It could be a postcard. I can't wait to pop my Lake Powell cherry soon. (Was that too graphic?? Sorry) I'm really excited, though!
Ok, so I have been avioiding your blog because I KNEW there would be Lake Powell pictures and I am SOOOO jealous! I have not been since 2006!!! This teaching through the summer is a killer. However-I know now how to get days off very easily so there is no excuse to not having gone yet this summer! One of the downsides of living far away from you all is that the invites are very few and far between:) Gone are the days that I could hitch a ride with you as you drove through Kanab! I do think that I am going out in August when Jeff gets home. ALso, get ready for this next confession...I have never been to Rainbow Bridge. It's Criminal! Miss you guys!
Post a Comment