
On March 31st, 2011, we had the opportunity to meet THEE AMAZING and completely inspiring and perfectly saintly Greg Mortensen, author of Three Cups of Tea and co-founder of the Central Asia Institute. He is my number one living hero (oh Steve!). Of course I was nervous and feeling a bit like I was about to step out of my body in excitement when the line started moving closer to Greg. I'd imagine what I was feeling was like what most people feel when they are about to meet some famous (but extremely vain, shallow, liberal, and idiotic) movie or rock star. Greg is without a doubt the best candidate for the Nobel peace prize ever. If you don't know about him, seriously- where have you been?... and purchase his book immediately.
So here I am, about to meet my hero in the flesh and what do I say? What marvelous phrase escapes my lips? I've finally come to the moment when I have mere seconds to tell him everything I feel about him and his work and what comes out of my mouth?
"Tell them we care."
Yep. That's the genius statement I opt to go with. Oh wretched regret. I can think of so many other terrific and intellectual and appropriate things I could have said... how about, "Greg, would you care to come to my house for a hot meal and a chance to have a respite from all these other people in line who don't appreciate you nearly half as much as I do?"
Anyhow- my once-in-a-lifetime has come and gone with a "tell them we care" and I am living in denial that it's done, gone and over, and I may never get another chance to redeem myself. Agony. On the plus side, I also got to tell him about me teaching Middle Eastern literature to the 9th grade and he gave me his hand-written referral (complete with a telephone #) to his magazine (Journey of Hope) on a sticky note. Yup- his handwriting and everything!!! I just may frame it!
And, concerning other dreams:
Here's some of the latest on our house.
As you well know, I'm the little girl who grew up dreaming about floor plans and finishes instead of weddings, so the fact that many of my home dreams are happening in real life and so unexpectedly is something I can hardly describe without bursting in excitement. Let's just start with the number 1 item on my dream home wish list: LIBRARY. Guess what? Library, CHECK.
...And Q is making much of it happen with his killer carpentry skills:

Here's some of the latest on our house.
As you well know, I'm the little girl who grew up dreaming about floor plans and finishes instead of weddings, so the fact that many of my home dreams are happening in real life and so unexpectedly is something I can hardly describe without bursting in excitement. Let's just start with the number 1 item on my dream home wish list: LIBRARY. Guess what? Library, CHECK.
...And Q is making much of it happen with his killer carpentry skills:



Next stop: IKEA
I'm coming IKEA! Be there on Friday. Oh great joy of my life! Long lost friend. Save $25 worth of Swedish candy bars for me!
...The FAM stopped by and entertained Annie while I worked all day yesterday(again):

And another amazing photo shoot by Erika. Seriously, she IS good. I keep telling Mia to take lessons. I've even considered starting a new-camera-for-mia fund just so we can get some of these photo skills in SGU!

This one of Annie & I was candid- the real subject of her latest shoot was Meg:




One last thing:
Long story short, Q just so happened to bust open his razor
and drop all the itty bitty parts down the drain
the ONE and ONLY time there was poop in the sink. Of course.
Long story short, Q just so happened to bust open his razor
and drop all the itty bitty parts down the drain
the ONE and ONLY time there was poop in the sink. Of course.
1 comment:
That Megan-she is gorgeous. Love the picture of you and Annie with the bike. Miss you and Annie already! Come back sooooooooooon!
Post a Comment