Friday, May 23, 2008

The last day of school

On Surviving Middle School
It was difficult enough the first time round. What a ride. It's like being on a roller coaster that suddenly stopped mid free fall. You're still a little noxious, but there is an undeniable rush. It really was a tough year for me. Today I was on bouncer duty at the door, confiscating backpacks and spray paint (just guess), and the students kept telling me it was no fair that I got a donut and they didn't. I calmly but firmly explained to them how atrocious they are to teach and that I earned it a hundred times over. A few of them had the nerve to tell me that they had worked harder this year and therefor deserved my maple bar more than I did. That didn't last very long, because if looks could kill, they'd be in serious peril. After the dirty glare I gave them, they scampered away like lost little puppies looking for their mother in a deep, dark alley filled with bandits. I don't know why some of them came today anyway. We told them to ditch. It's like they want to punish us with one more day of whining. Fine, they're not all rotten, but still, let summer already!!!!!

To celebrate my new found freedom and sudden let up from all things intense, I took Q to the premiere of Indy last night. It was pretty good. We wore our shirts, which were a hit despite Q complaining about matching and mentioning something about Sadie Hawkins embarrassment, and splurged on the Jumbo popcorn/pop deal. My stomach is still reeling since that was dinner for me, but it was worth it. Q even won another free Indy T-shirt (although not nearly as cool as the ones mom ordered), and we were on the St. George news. Afterwards we went to the cup cake cafe (25main) and got two choco-choco cupcakes with the last of our money. I feel like whenever I go there, the workers stare at me like "hello, what are you doing here?" Maybe I am not trendy enough. It's like they're watching my every move as I look at the restaurant. Still, the cupcakes are super and I'm glad to hear they are doing so well. What a hard business to run. Check out this 2 second clip of us in our super duper Indy T's. It may be the last time I convince Quinn that matching is fun. This time nearly took tears. Matt took the image and made Q stand there for like 5 minutes with everyone watching. Q was so mad. Isn't he a hottie?!?! I will way miss him this week.


Notice: If anyone is interested in free chalkboards, I can get you some. They are huge (10 feet) and magnetic. They have a chalk/eraser tray too. I took a couple home from the school and am thinking someday I'll cut them down and make magnet boards out of them. Also, when we do finally build a house (a decade from, SGU is SOOOO expensive), I'm going to put one up in my garage. Let me know.

Oh blissful day of light and glory. It's almost worth teaching for 9 months just to experience this joyful moment of exaltation and celestial fulfillment. May 23rd is what teaching is all about!!!

4 comments:

Brynn said...

I think I would LOVE a chalkboard- Let me know if you can get me one. Enjoy your summer without kids!!

Jem said...

You guys are soooooo sexy!

carly k said...

Let me just tell you because I KNOW.... NO ONE at 25 Main is even half as cool as you and Quinn. Not close, not ever!! And if anyone there ever gives you the stink-eye again, you let me know. I'll give them a little chat!!!

Anonymous said...

Geeze, you are such a "poster" now! I love reading your blog, and especially love to see pictures of Grandma Polly on the blog! Miss you!