Here I am, working late again. The latest is: Q started the garden (hurray!), one of my 9th grade classes is still entirely convinced that Marijuana is good for them, I judged a pro clogging competition on Saturday, and Quinn and I get to spend money tomorrow (yipee). Also, I'm not saying I hate the ending of Scott Westerfeld's Ugly series... it ended the way it needed to, but that doesn't mean I have to feel good about it. I had to start reading something else right away to get over Specials. Four books this week means I'm behind on grading so this is me (pic above) working late yet again. I'll tell you, it really gets freaky about 8 pm when you think you're the only one in the building and suddenly a janitor pops in and scares your pants off. Today Meree brought lunch to me at school. This was a life saver on several accounts. 1) Quinn and I are on the 10th day of not spending 1 dime and the food stuff is running low (popcorn for dinner kind of low which reminds me so much of New York days), 2) It's real nice to talk to an adult after 7 hours of student whining over having to read To Kill A Mockingbird (Most beautiful American novel ever written... I simply am at a loss to understand the intense whining) , and 3) Meree is just about my favorite person in the world. How does she do it all and stay a size 2? She's like that girl you wanted to hate in High school because she was perfect and beautiful, and good at everything, but you couldn't because she was so darn nice and humble and like able. Meree is my hero.
I auditioned for the school talent show today. I don't really know if teachers are supposed to, but I did anyway. I wrote my name under 8th grade on the sign-up list and showed up with my orange/brown Miller & Bens ready to go. I didn't know the student judges so maybe they don't know I'm a teacher. I did an Irish Riverdance and they seemed to like it because by the time I was done, about 20 more "judges" came in to see what all the ruckus was about. My Language Arts students promised me they wouldn't boo if I made it to the real show. I asked them if it was Lame-o for a teacher to try out and they responded with, "It depends on what teacher." Still not quite consoled, I threatened them with F's if I caught them making fun of me when I perform... that is, if I make it.
Q and I did sharing time yesterday. I hate primary. Have I told you? I don't like kids. Love teens, hate the fake, cheesy, smiley voice you use with kids. I guess, after 2 years, our class is growing on us and I do kind of like them, but I still loath diverting from the rest of the adults into the primary room every week. Back to sharing time: I made Q dress up and act out some parts. He blatantly refused of course, but I managed to get him in gear by the time things were ready to roll. He did such a good job! Kids LOVE him. We've made sort of a temporary deal: I take care of our future kids until than can walk, then turn them over to him until they reach middle school. It's no wonder our marriage works so well.
THE NEXT QUINTESSENTIAL NOVEL: I've finally decided on a plot. It's based on binary opposition and will be an allegory of LDS doctrine without being religious. It will combine logic, instinct, and emotion to propel a love triangle caught between the knowledge of good and evil. Well... we'll see. I start writing the thing in June... like everything else in my life.
They tell me that June and July are these magical months where you vacuum your carpet, wipe the bar with 409, and acknowledge people who once referred to you as friend.
This is Q with our 2008 garden and Meree at Lake Powell
(in case you were wondering what a real live superwoman looks like).
7 comments:
Ummm... Hello! I just found you on Carly's blog. Where have I been? Where do you teach? I love middle school kids, well...maybe sometimes. You look just like you did 10 years ago. I guess I saw you on our wedding day though. Good to find you. Coming to Homecoming this year at Dixie :)?
Love the new post! Since I began teaching, I have also been bombarded about the "marijuana should be legalized" thing! Lately 3 of my students have been trying to convince me that if percocet and oxycontin are legally prescribed, then marijuana should be too. ARGG! I told them that as soon as the FDA approved it as a prescription medication I would talk about it, but until then-forget it. People are crazy! Let me tell you-adults can be just as immature as teenagers.
By the way--we were just at Seaworld when we pet the dolphins-you can feed them and pet them at certain times at the dolphin pool. (I think you left me that question...)
I can't wait to read your novel because I absolutely love reading your posts! You write so well and you are so dramatic! I look forward to being related to a world famous writer! You are so talented! Hope we see you guys soon!
You live a very exciting life. Good luck with the garden, we are going to attempt planting one this year-I may need a few pointers.
Oh I'm so glad I have a new friend on my blog. I'll have to read more of yours later, the first graders are coming back in from recess!
If you think 7 hours is a long time to go without talking to an adult, try a day or 2. I love being a mom, but it sure is nice when Dennis comes home after a 4 day trip.
Post a Comment