Friday, March 21, 2008

Whale of a Tale







Aloha Time is the ONLY time!
We spent Spring Break in Kauai again and, just like last year, we planned next year's trip before we even came home. It was so fun to go back to a place that will never get old. I've also decided that Quinn must be part Polynesian underneath all of that Italian. He fit right in with the locals. We really had an adventurous trip. There wasn't much down time between riding on Navy Seal rafts around the Napali Coast, zip lining and kayaking through the jungle, and whale watching. We even went deep sea fishing... well, Quinn went fishing. I just pucked my guts out for 5 straight hours. Good thing I wore a water proof anarak. They had to hose me down a couple times. In short, it was one of the most miserable mornings of my life. I do not recommend 12 foot swells on a tiny fishing boat. Apart from the mega ankles sunburn the first day that forced me to wear pants the rest of the trip and Meg being super sick, we had a blast. I don't think we will ever go to any other island when we go to Hawaii. Kauai is so beautiful and still rural. It's what you picture when you think of Hawaii (think Jurassic Park). My favorite part, however, was the whales. This year we came prepared with binoculars and weren't disappointed. It's so amazing to see a 45 ton beastly fish suddenly jump completely out of the ocean just for fun. Sometimes the crash is so big, you can hear them slash on shore. I seriously love humbacks and the 20 yard surprise encounter off our raft solidified the affair. If you get a chance, ask Quinn about golfing on a PGA course or encounters with endangered monk seals. I may as well also mention the snorkeling with sea turtles. Really, it was a blast. I vow to always travel no matter how poor, tired, or old I become! Now, for the recovery of the adventure.




1 comment:

ash met said...

Looks like it was a REALLY great time! So glad you got to go! We miss you guys! Hope you had a Happy Easter! You should come to SLC!