Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Attempt confirmed

...Yep, my job really is trying to kill me. Today marked 6 DAYS of no voice. I made it first period, second, then lunch hit and that's when the History and Band teachers gave me the best advice: "It's not like they're not going to graduate if you go home."

Then I almost passed out- cold sweats- seriously something's wrong - why haven't I kicked this after two weeks panic.....

7th was so kind to me. They listened. They cared. They complimented me on my new shirt and listened to my story of how Q rubbed vicks on my feet at 4 am.

Then my modern day Savior, Mr. Langston the Math teacher, offered to teach my last class and I escaped. Somehow I managed to pull a substitute lesson, prep for Langston, grab my grading, and teach my rowdiest class all in the very hour death came knocking on my immunity door.

Two hour visit to doctor's later:

Not Swine (thank heaven) but something bad and weird. Flu/Colds don't last this long. Bloodwork results Friday- Diagnosis unresolved, cause professionally calculated:

HIGH JOB STRESS

At least this doctor gets it. My first year I saw a guy for an antibiotic and it took severe convincing for him to give me one. He said he'd much rather I just cut the stress out of my life. I laughed at him and replied, "I'm a first-year teacher, I'll take that antibiotic- and don't be shy about the dosage."

Today I had a woman PA who, upon divulge of my chosen (lol) career, simply confirmed, "Well that's why you're sick. You couldn't pay me enough to teach middle school."

"It get's worse," I responded, "I teach Language Arts,"

To which she promptly wrote out a prescription for an extra day of 500 milligrams. Finally- someone who gets it. ...And I didn't even have a copay!

4 comments:

carly k said...

You are far too educated to put yourself through this hell! It's ok with me if you choose to tackle another job choice:)

sorry you are feeling so yucky!

Alana said...

Glad you went to the doctor... hope everything is alright and your antibiotic kicks it. If your job was valued by society for what is should be, you would get paid millions for it. It has got to be one of the hardest things out there!

Erika said...

I am sorry you have been so darn miserable. Ugh! Hope you get feeling tip top soon.

mommaRx said...

Nicole-I totally know how you feel-being a teacher and getting sick is the absolute WORST! I was sick for about 3 weeks, and also went days without a voice. I had to get very creative to come up with something for the mandantory 2 hours of lecture that I have to do every day. The worst!! I hope you are great-I miss you!-this is Kari by the way...